Saturday, March 17, 2012

Reading: Book 4 ~ The Help



The Help
by Kathryn Stockett

To try to keep on my reading this year, I made a list of books that I wanted to read. The first three books were in a series and hard to put down, so I finished all of them in just over a week. Then I took a break for a bit. When I went back to reading, I decided to pick a book off my list that was on the New York Times Bestsellers list. I figured if that many people liked reading the book, it would be "easy" to read...plus I really want to see the movie and I won't watch the movie until I've read the book (the Harry Potter series being the only exception to that rule that I can remember).

I think this was an excellent book.  Though it definitely deals with civil rights issues, there is so much more to this book. The three characters highlighted in the book give it a nice well rounded feel. It depicts a time in the early 1960's and tells the story of two black maids and the white women that interviews them to tell their story.

It was another book I just could not put down. I read it over a few days. I can't wait to see the movie and plan on adding a little post about the comparison between the two though I have heard it keeps to the story fairly close until the ending. 

I would definitely recommend reading this book.



No comments:

Post a Comment