Monday, January 9, 2012

Crock Pot: Day 4 ~ Broccoli Cheese Soup

I have not found another recipe done this way, this is just how I do it. It turned out so good and was such a family favorite that they have not stopped asking for me to make it again. I thought this would be the perfect time to make it again.

The ingredients:
-1/4 lb of Butter (1 stick)
-1 Onion (I used yellow)
-1/2 c Flour
-1 tbsp Salt
-1 tbsp Pepper
-A pinch Nutmeg
-Broccoli (I use 1/2 or so of the bag I buy from Sam's Club which is a 3 lb bag so about 1-2 lbs of broccoli)
-1 qt Heavy Whipping Cream (can use 1/2 & 1/2)
-2 c Milk
-3 c grated cheese (today I'm using Irish Dubliner, Cheddar & Parmesan. I don't use equal parts. I used mostly Dubliner today)

Cast of yumminess
*Remember, I'm a cook so I don't really measure. These are all approximates. I'm trying to see about how much I use along the way so that you can follow my "recipe".

Saute onions in butter until they are translucent.

Don't be scared to use this much butter...it will make the roux.
Then add about 1/3 cup of flour to the butter and onions to make a roux. Cook for 1 mins or so and then add to the crock pot.

Add heavy whipping cream and milk and stir.

Chop broccoli finely (I don't blend my soup but I don't like it really chunky so I chop my broccoli) and add to the crock pot.



Chopped up broccoli.
 Add salt, pepper and nutmeg.



Cook on high for 4-6 hours.

20-30 minutes before serving, add cheese.

Serve.
YUMMY Soup

Tonight we ate it with steak and served it with crusty bread and Roasted Garlic Infused Oil (link to purchase this...only available till 3.11.12) and Tuscany Bread Dipping Mix (link to purchase this...only available till 3.11.12) Seasoning from Tastefully Simple but we've eaten it as a meal by itself. It's a nice hardy soup and a crowd pleaser in our house. What's especially great is there is enough soup leftover that I won't need to cook tomorrow.

I think everyone was saying "Mmmm" the entire dinner. Steak cooked to perfection by hubby.





No comments:

Post a Comment