Thursday, January 5, 2012

Crock Pot: Day 2 ~ Italian Roast

Okay...this one couldn't be easier and I'm not sure where I first got it. I think I did a search on All Recipes during my annual pantry clean out a few years ago. Being that February's a short month, I instituted cooking from my pantry and freezer that month. We usually end up with some really weird dishes but this one was a great one.

You Need:
A Roast (which ever cut you like best, it doesn't really matter)
A Jar of Pepperoncini (whole or sliced, this also doesn't matter)
Rolls

This is all you need!

*Optional:
Cheese-today I'm using provolone (we melt it on the sandwich in the oven set to broil-only takes a minute)
Garlic (if the roast is thawed, I make little slits throughout the roast and put slices of garlic in the slits)
Onion (sauteed for the sandwich)
Mushrooms (sauteed for the sandwich)

That's it! No really, I'm serious.

If the roast is frozen, place in the crock pot with the whole jar of pepperoncinis (juice & all) for 2 hours on high then low for 5-6 hours (for about a 3-4 lb. roast). If the roast is thawed, I cook on low for 6-8 hours. It's really important that you give the roast plenty of time in the crock pot, more time is better than less. If you don't give it enough time, it will not be as tender.


My roast was frozen.

Hoagie rolls & sliced provolone cheese
After it has cooked, I pull all the peppers out and a lot of the juice and put that in a bowl. Not all my kids like them or can handle the spice, but don't worry the roast is not spicy.

Pepperoncinis and Roast Juice with the roast ready to shred.

Shred the roast in the crock pot or on a cutting board (whichever is easiest for you).


Load the rolls up ready to add the cheese.

Add a slice of provolone and pop in the oven to broil for just a minute.

Fresh out of the broiler...cheese is bubbling and starting to brown.

*Once again, this was a hit and we have leftovers for lunches!

We love this on hoagie rolls. Sometimes I toast them in the oven with the meat and cheese to melt the cheese. Sometimes I saute onions and mushrooms to throw on top. Sometimes we just have the meat on a roll with a veggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment