Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Knitting: Project 2 ~ Watermelon Fingerless Gloves

Watermelon Rappers

I've been wanting to do some fun arm warmers for my girls. I used Sweet Stripped Arm Warmers (free pattern available on Ravelry) as an inspiration for this fun project but then of course tweaked it quite a bit to make it work for what I wanted. These are modeled by my youngest (she's 10 but very petite for her age) but I have also worn them. I think they could be easily considered pre-teen to small adult in size.

Watermelon Rappers
Arm warmers, juniors gauntlet size 

Yarn: Caron Simply Soft
Color A:Watermelon (pink) 
Color B: Limelight (green)
Needles: US 8, 9" circular 

Knit bottom up and in the round.

With Color A, co 32 stitches with a long tail cast on.
Rows 1-4: [K2, P2] to the end
Rows 5-9: K
Row 10: Color B, P
Rows 11-19: K (with color B)
Row 20: Color A, P
Rows 21-29: K (with color A)
Row 30: Color B, P
Rows 31-39: K (with color B)
Row 40: Color A, P
Rows 41-49: K (with color A)
Row 50: Color B, P
Row 51-52: K (with color B)
Rows 53-57: K 24, turn work as if working flat, P 32 (working in the thumb hole)
Turn work back and forth for 5 rows
Rows 58-59: Rib 2x2 rejoining work in the round
Bind off loosely
Weave in ends

For the second one: I reversed the colors starting with Color B and ending with Color A for a fun funky look. It's like the mismatched sock fad ;)

*A couple of notes about this: I carried the yarn along weaving it back and forth in the stitches to prevent a solid line up the work. This did cause it to look like the yarn is pulled like a corset. I liked the look but of course you could join the yarn each color change to avoid this look.

*You can use any thumb hole method but I prefer this one so I don't have to seam later.

*I'm not sure how much yarn this uses, the pattern from which my inspiration came said only 80 yards of each color. I didn't make mine as long and didn't do the increases she had in her pattern. I would guess that mine used around 50 yards of each color making it a great stash buster!


Carrying along the string caused the stitch to weave.






No comments:

Post a Comment