Sunday, March 25, 2012

Knitting: Project 3 ~ Hemp Hat

I used The Rikke Hat (free pattern available here) as inspiration for this hat. I used another Ravelry user's notes (link here) to make the decrease for my hat, being I did not like the star like swirl the original creates. I wanted this hat to be for a guy and the star, swirl decrease look girlie to me.

This is a garter stitch hat (which in the flat is knit every row) but being it was knit in the round, it is actually knit one row, purl one row. It's a great slouchy hat and super comfy. I was looking for a hat to make from hemp yarn because of a request from a friend. Hemp yarn can be difficult with which to work being it works more like cotton and can be stiff. I was able to get a nice slouchy, soft hat from hemp with this pattern.


Front view

Back View

Side View

Close up.

Materials:
-US size 4 16" circular needle
-US size 8 16" circular needle
-US size 8 DPN
-Stitch Marker
-Darning needle
-2 Skeins Elsebeth Lavold Hempathy (153 yards each), held together. I used contrasting green yarn.

Directions:
-With larger needles (I used two sets of US 4 needles, to make sure the cast on is nice and loose) CO 85 sts using the German Twist Cast-on Method (holding both strands of yarn together for entire pattern) *There are some great youtube videos on the German Twist Cast-on Method. I linked the one I used at the bottom of this post.
-PM to indicate end/beginning of round

Brim
Using smaller needles
-Round 1: Knit
-Round 2: Purl
-Repeat 14 more times for a total of 15 garter stitch ridges

Body
-Change to larger needles
-Round 1: Knit
-Round 2: Purl
-Repeat until hat measures 6" from cast-on edge

Decrease (switch to DPNs as needed)
-Round 1: [k2tog, k3] repeat to the end of the round
-Round 2: P
-Round 3: K
-Round 4: P
-Round 5: K
-Round 6: P
-Round 7: [k2tog, k2] repeat to the end of the round
-Round 8: P
-Round 9: K
-Round 10: P
-Round 11: K
-Round 12: P
-Round 13: [k2tog, k1] repeat to the end of the round
-Round 14: P
-Round 15: K
-Round 16: P
-Round 17: [k2tog] repeat to the end of the round (16 sts remain)
-Round 18: P
-Round 19: K
-Round 20: P
-Round 21: [k2tog] repeat to the end of the round (8 sts remain)
-Cut Yarn and use darning needle to thread through the remaining live sts, pull and close the hole
-Weave ends into the hat

Enjoy!





German Cast-on Method



No comments:

Post a Comment